June 13, 2012

Make Chili, Not Excuses.

We're heading back to my blogging roots, folks. That's right. I'm in the kitchen. Only this time I don't have an apron. It's lost. I'm sad.

I bet a large bowl of turkey-chili would cheer me up.

 



I was right.


Because I have a rather hectic life, I like to plan my meals for the week on Saturday, Sunday, or (on an especially crazy week) Monday. Then I go and buy the ingredients to prepare culinary masterpieces. For example, I've made caprese pasta, cucumber-dill sandwiches, and Po' Boys. Oh yea, you're all kinds of impressed right now, aren't you!


My culinary talent is all thanks to my new cook book The BrokeAss Gourmet. Seriously, if you're a foodie-college kid (I know, narrow market...but hey, we exist!) go purchase this book. 86% of my recent meals have stemmed from this book. The other 14% is take-out. Like I said, college kid.

In anticipation of my upcoming study-abroad trip, I have started eating meat again. My digestion doesn't really like it, but hey, gotta be done. Research told me to eat lean meats, like fish and turkey, for a smoother transition. So I have been! This recipe is fantastic and I highly recommend it to all non-vegheads.




ridiculously easy turkey chili


by the BrokeAss Gourmet


prep time 10 minutes | cook time 20 minutes (this seemed fairly accurate, but I had to thaw my turkey in the pot [always pre-plan])

(I also suggest throwing on The Black Keys, especially "Act Nice and Gentle" to cook to. Perfect chili-making music.)




ingredients
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or sunflower oil...that's what I used)
1 onion, chopped
3 (or 6) cloves garlic, minced (I love garlic and showing off my knife skills)
1 pound lean ground turkey (thaw it. Lesson learned. Again)
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained (I used the 2 cans plus a can of white beans)
1 (16-ounce) container pico de gallo (whatever the guy at Cub gave me, is what I used. I recommend using more salsa for a more vegetable-y taste or use vegetables)
1 teaspoon cumin (haha I just shook the spice container over it)
1 teaspoon chili powder (ditto)
salt and pepper to taste
(SRIRACHA SAUCE!!!) Especially if you dig spicy chili.

directions
1. heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add ground turkey and allow turkey to brown, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes (time is relevant)
2. Add beans, pico de gallo, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10-12 minutes until hot and bubbly. If chili becomes too thick (not a problem seeing as I dumped a ton of water in the pot to cook my turkey...) add a little water.
3. Serve hot, as is (pfft) or garnished with shredded cheese (:D), cilantro, chopped onions, sour cream, avocado (oh that would've been good!), hot sauce (:D), etc.






Seriously delicious. I'm on my second bowl as we, erhm, type. After this, I must move our stove so I can grab the spoon which fell valiantly in battle with the frozen turkey. She will get a hero's scrubbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment