September 5, 2011

You Scream for Ice Cream, I Cry Out for a Sandwich.

Now the week of free food has ended and the real fun is beginning.

I went on my first successful grocery shopping trip yesterday and returned with delectable foodstuff and only minor emotional damage. Being in a new grocery store, I had absolutely no idea where anything was located. Scratch that, I knew where the cheese was kept. Mostly because cheese is a staple item. Since I am currently the only resident out of four roommates in the apartment, basic items that were necessary for survival this weekend were purchased. I was going to be cooking for one and I needed substance. Therefore, it was sandwich time.

Every time should be sandwich time.

I have a mild love affair with sandwiches. Nothing too big, except for they are the greatest invention of all time. Liz Lemon practically summed up my life when she said, "I believe that all anyone wants in life is to sit in peace and eat a sandwich." When sexist persons yell out, "Woman! Make me a sammich!!" I do. Then I sit there and I eat the "sammich" in front of them because I don't take to kindly to sexism. And I love sammiches.

All I wanted today was a sandwich, which was perfect because all I really had for food was sandwich making materials. After an epic battle with the toaster oven (which it won...twice) I just decided to eat the burnt bagel and make the most out of this sandwich. Even the worst sandwich is better than none. It was so simple, just cheese, turkey, and zesty italian dressing. Delicious.

I'm on a quest for the perfect sandwich. I think I came close once, but the bread was just a bit over toasted. The satisfaction that comes from taking the perfect bite, where every ingredient is present and accounted for, is mind blowing. Life would be so much better if everyone had a sandwich.

Now that the school year is officially starting on Tuesday, I'll be doing some serious cooking. The roommates will be present, I'll be in need of delicious food, and nothing makes you feel better than a nice home-cooked meal. Except for free tuition or a text book that doesn't cost over $100. So, please grab a cup of coffee, sit back, relax, and attempt to wrap your mind around the concept of me cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment