September 24, 2011

The Comfort Weekend

Hello! ¡Hola! 你好

After I posted last week about becoming a weekend warrior of the kitchen, my roommate Katie and I decided to have tacos and tater-tots. T&T night is sort of a tradition in this apartment stemming back to freshmen year (so last year) when the dining room would always serve tacos with tater-tots. It may seem like that would be the strangest combination in the world, but trust me, it really works. Just ask Taco John's.

Because of my insanely busy schedule during the week, I was forced to eat canned soup, sandwiches (no complaints there...I just bought salami), frozen dinners, and left-overs. I tried making a taco with pita bread. It was not delicious. At all. Such a weird texture, but I was far too invested in eating to stop. One of my frozen meals was from P.F. Chang's and oh dear higher-power-that-be was it fantastic. I love P.F. Chang's. It even required me to use the stove. Yea, hardcore.

The best part of the week just has to be the part we are in right now, the weekend. Why? Because it is the weekend, duh. AND my mom is visiting me at school!!!

I have to say that I have the best mom in the world. Sorry other moms, there is no contest. When I was helping unload her stuff, there were bags and bags of ingredients and a plant. Gerber daisies to be exact (my second favorite flower...they transport better than sunflowers). Let the cooking adventures begin!!

Well Friday night we went out. Hey, I'm in Duluth, there are so many delicious restaurants and both of us were exhausted. Little Angies here we come! Or there we went. Nothing makes a stomach happy like Tex-Mex.

For today, the theme of the meal was comfort. Which works so well with Mom here! We prepared creamy chicken wild-rice soup, rolls, and apple pie. When ever I have creamy chicken wild-rice soup it makes me feel warm and loved. It has to be one of my favorite meals that Mom makes.

Every bite is like a tummy hug wrapped in a warm blanket. Yea, that magical. Combine it with garlic butter rolls (store-bought but oh, so wonderful) and it's a party of teddy bears dancing on your tongue to "Here Comes the Sun." Splendid.


Did I mention we had pie? Actually, as I type this we're waiting for the pie to cool and I'm supposed to be reading for marketing. I love pie. It reminds me of a sandwich. It's a stretch, but hey there is two outer-carb layers and filling. Ergo, sandwich.

For this pie I was Queen of Apples. I also cut my finger. My roommate sells those super sharp knifes for that company that everyone knows of (I can't remember the name) and boy, are they sharp!

So after repairing my injury and washing my hands I got back to being Queen of the Apples. Mom bought two different types of apples, Granny Smith and Honey Crisps, because a lady at the grocery store suggested to. We put in extra cinnamon because that's what my grandpa does and he makes absolutely delicious apple pies. I can't tell you if our pie compares yet for I haven't tasted it yet. It is just sitting there. Taunting me. I want pie.



Because this post is so darn long (apologies) I'm not going to include recipes, but there will be some eventually! So stay tuned.

Love,
Michelle

1 comment: