September 30, 2011

Chicken for Dinner or Reasons Why I'm Becoming Vegetarian

Hello my army of readers. Okay, I don't think it's that many, more like a small platoon. Oh, who am I kidding, I know nothing about warfare or the military.

Normally you would be reading my musings on a Saturday, but the events of last evening were just so...eventful that I just had to share.

It all started on September 28, 1991. My roommate was born on that date and from then on her life was propelling toward the dinner party that would take place on September 29, 2011. To celebrate birthdays with my roommates we each get to choose something we would like to do. Last year I dragged them all to a showing of Harry Potter 7 Part 1 because, well I don't need a reason, Harry Potter is awesome.

This is relevant because Meghan wanted to put on a birthday dinner complete with fancy chicken and side dishes. I was going to make a green bean casserole (or a "hot dish" for Minnesotans) but became swamped with homework that I was unable to help. Essentially I was a hermit in my room until the party was supposed to start. But as I went into the kitchen I noted an air of disarray and general confusion. Apparently this chicken is supposed to contain onions, lemons, and oranges stuffed up its butt. Well two things were wrong with this situation:
1. It seems that oranges were not purchased. Instead, there were grapefruit. Possibly blood oranges, but the consensus was grapefruit. Not the same.
2. No one gutted the chicken. The giblets were left all up in the rear of that poor pollo. Another roommate, Leah, said she came home to see three ladies staring up the butt of a chicken. Chicken juices everywhere. I'm really glad I was watching a movie for class.

Now at this point, I sensed general frustration. Roomie Katie (my third and final roommate) needed to make her cookie salad, puppy chow was being shaken in the living room, and all together there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

So we ordered pizza.



Now, I also mentioned that I am becoming a vegetarian. I've tried this many times before, but I think it just might stick this time. I don't really buy all that much meat as it is and being a modern-day hippie, most people already assume I am a vegetarian. Not that I'm conforming to peoples' expectations. Disease from meat really skeeves me out. Hard core. Plus, I need to start making healthier and more conscientious food choices. I will most likely start this diet after I finish the meat I have already purchased because I don't want to be wasteful. On that note, I must find a way to use a fourth of a tub of vanilla yogurt before it goes bad...if you have a suggestion let me know, but before October 1st. Yes, tomorrow.

Love to you!!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment