August 27, 2011

Sour Cream for Moist-ness?!

I know that I said my dive into the culinary world would begin on Sunday, well that turned out to be incorrect. Mea culpa. My amigo Jerry came over today and we decided to bake (him being a fancy-smancy award-winning high school culinary dude...yea whatever some kids are talented.)

Cookies were the name of the game. Basic, delicious cookies. There was only a ten percent chance of me screwing anything up and/or burning the house down. Being exciting and adventurous people, we chose to attempt chocolate-chip cookies but with a twist! Sour cream was called for, like half of a cup! Weird, right? Well, I thought it was. Turns out adding sour cream just makes your cookies moist. (side note: moist is one of those words that is incredibly fun to say and yet oddly disgusting at the same time. moist, moooist, moiiiist, moisssst. yea now I've disturbed even myself) If for some insane reason your home didn't have sour cream (like miniature possums ran through the front door and went straight for the fridge) plain yogurt could be used. Right, because I just happen to have a tub of plain yogurt and not sour cream. Good one Betty Crocker.

Because I am currently still at my parent's house, we had no need to go to the store. It's like we have our own personal ingredient store. We are never, ever without a certain spice. Ever. I think we have a life time supply of pink sea salt just lying around. Yea, pink sea salt. Fancy. So when we went to add in the chocolate chips, low and behold, there they are but only about a fourth of what the recipe called for. In went caramel bits! Which made me incredibly happy because I love caramel far more than chocolate. Dear Betty said it should take 12-14 minutes for the cookies to get their act together. Lies. It was more like twenty. Perhaps it was the oven. Nah, I blame Betty. All in all they were delicious especially with milk (but really, what cookie isn't good with milk. All cookies are good with milk. All of them.)

Here's what our delicious creation looks like (or I should say looked because they are now in my stomach)
Sorry for the poor quality, took this snap shot with my phone. 
So, I wouldn't say this is my grand debut as a culinary icon but, hey, it's a start. Rome wasn't built in a day people. So stay tuned! (please) (thank you)

2 comments:

  1. I love this already. Fact. I'm devouring every post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    Please post some of your recipes!!

    Love,

    Mom Abele

    ReplyDelete